PixelPaxil

Don't let the elevator. get. you. down.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Burn Hollywood, Burn

(Props to Chuck D and Public Enemy)

So, maybe you're aware, but the entire world is waiting to see the re-imagining of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The original movie is something of a classic. It bombed in the box office - but that makes its enduring appeal all the more magical. Gene Wilder created a manic, frenetic genius in his portrayal of Willy Wonka, and Veruca Salt's pissy rich-girl attitude thrives today in the alternative music scene.

There are few perfect movies. I know this. But Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of them. There's something sad about the fact that a creative whirlwind like Tim Burton couldn't just leave it alone and do his own thing. And Johnny Depp, as much as I think he's right up there with Gary Oldman, has let me down by his presumtion.

But this blog isn't about things that piss me off (that blog would be a lot more time-consuming). Instead, it's about things that make me happy...so with that in mind, I invite you all to visit this FAN PAGE.

This guy has organized not one - but TWO Willy Wonka Reunions, and managed to pull together the ENTIRE cast.

It takes a certain kind of crazy to feel this kind of devotion for a movie. I love this kind of crazy.

If they host another reunion, I want to go.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around, and view it - any time you want to, do it. Want to change the world? There's nothing to it."

That's my kind of therapy.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Mojo said…

    One of my gigs in DC was running crew or the theater I later worked at full time. The show one of the actors was the woman who played Charlie Bucket's mom in the original. I was starstruck.

    Somewhere in the middle of the run, she brought in a photo album of one her reunions with the cast at some convention. She had a lot of her own pictures. It was pretty cool.

    The kid who played Charlie is a dentist and the one who played Mike TV makes a decent amount of money doing appearances and selling Chocolate Factory memoriabilia.

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Mojo said…

    Sorry! OF course, I meant Charlie is a Veternarian. I checked my Wonka facts.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Noah said…

    Nice, I would have been very star struck indeed. In fact, I probably would have tried to steal something from her.

    But that's just me.

    Once, I narrowly decided against stealing Margaret Cho's American Comedy Award. But that's a different story.

    For the record, I've never stolen anything. Ever.

    Ever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home