PixelPaxil

Don't let the elevator. get. you. down.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I OWN you.

Technically speaking, by the powers of association, I now own a TEENY TINY portion of the techno-behemoth that is Google.

And Google owns Blogger,(and soon, the WORLD).

That's right, I bought stock.

Now listen, I'm not an investy-savvy guy. I don't know anyhting about buying or selling stock. I don't know how to hedge options or speculate on currency fluctuations.

I bet you don't either. Sure sure, we all have some 401K that we picked up along the way, maybe a mutual fund or an IRA too. But I don't know what any of that means. I don't feel any particualr ownership or connection to those things.

My brother has touted Ameritrade and other services as being the greatest inventions for the new investor, but even those are too complicated and annoying for me to pay too much attention to.

So, imagine my delight when I discovered ShareBuilder.com.

ShareBuilder lets you buy as much or as little of any stock you want. ANY STOCK. You want to buy $30 worth of Smith and Wesson? Go for it. They charge $4/transaction with no minimums.

What if the stock is worth more than you want to pay? No problem. I currently own $40 worth of Google. Google stock is currently worth $295/share. So, I own a fraction of a share. Great!

There are some drawbacks, of course, you can't pick the precise moment you want to invest. Instead, they do it all in bulk every Tuesday. Their perspective is that it's a better idea to simply create a habit of investing at regular intervals rather than looking for that one day when the market is down.

Anyway. Check it out. Or not. I don't care.

I'll post something more fun later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home