PixelPaxil

Don't let the elevator. get. you. down.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Chain-chain-chain....

I'm a pretty passive music listener. Music is one of the few areas where I just can't claim to be an early-adopter. Don't get me wrong, I love me some tunes, but I guess that I've just been surrounded my entire life by people who were feverishly passionate about their music and I've always been happy to be an attentive audience.

One of the few times in recent history where I've gotten pretty effing psyched about music was when I discovered the late-great Napster*. Napster opened up a world of potential to me. Every song you could ever want was right there at your finger-tips, and I discovered that I wanted a lot of cool music.

As it would turn out, most of what I really wanted were covers of songs. They could be snarky (Weezer covering Gin N Juice), they could be obvious (Marilyn Manson covering Sweet Dreams), they could be absurd (Techno cover of the Peanuts theme/Mario Bros.), or they could just plain be bad ass (The Sugarcubes - early Bjork - covering Leaving on a Jet Plane).

Well, Leave it to Agent Em to take it one step further.

She started making chains. Smashing Pumpkings covering Prince covering David Bowie covering the Pixies.....etc. She'd come up with a whole CD where each artist was covering a song from the previous performer.

Some clever soul has taken the time to put the whole damn thing online

Cover Project has taken on the daunting task of documenting every single cover out there.

I say, more power to them.

*(Then Napster got sued and sold-out and is now a corporate suckfest, but we won't get into that because there are better services out there.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home